“Only once in your life, I truly believe, you find someone who can completely turn your world around. You tell them things that you’ve never shared with another soul and they absorb everything you say and actually want to hear more. You share hopes for the future, dreams that will never come true, goals that were never achieved and the many disappointments life has thrown at you. When something wonderful happens, you can’t wait to tell them about it, knowing they will share in your excitement. They are not embarrassed to cry with you when you are hurting or laugh with you when you make a fool of yourself. Never do they hurt your feelings or make you feel like you are not good enough, but rather they build you up and show you the things about yourself that make you special and even beautiful. There is never any pressure, jealousy or competition but only a quiet calmness when they are around. You can be yourself and not worry about what they will think of you because they love you for who you are. The things that seem insignificant to most people such as a note, song or walk become invaluable treasures kept safe in your heart to cherish forever. A phone call or two during the day helps to get you through a long day’s work and always brings a smile to your face. In their presence, there’s no need for continuous conversation, but you find you’re quite content in just having them nearby. Things that never interested you before become fascinating because you know they are important to this person who is so special to you. You think of this person on every occasion and in everything you do.You open your heart knowing that there’s a chance it may be broken one day and in opening your heart, you experience a love and joy that you never dreamed possible. You find that being vulnerable is the only way to allow your heart to feel true pleasure that’s so real it scares you. You find strength in knowing you have a true friend and possibly a soul mate who will remain loyal to the end. Life seems completely different, exciting and worthwhile. Your only hope and security is in knowing that they are a part of your life.”
― Bob Marley
The Greeks identified 8 types of love.
- “EROS” OR EROTIC LOVE that represents the idea of sexual passion and desire.
- “PHILIA” OR AFFECTIONATE LOVE . Philia or Platonic love is a type of love that is felt among friends who’ve endured hard times together.
- STORGE” OR FAMILIAR LOVE . Storge is a natural form of affection that often flows between parents and their children, and children for their parents.
- “LUDUS” OR PLAYFUL LOVE. Ludus is that feeling we have when we go through the early stages of falling in love with someone, e.g. the fluttering heart, flirting, teasing, and feelings of euphoria.
- “MANIA” OR OBSESSIVE LOVE. Mania love is a type of love that leads a partner into a type of madness and obsessiveness. It occurs when there is an imbalance between eros and ludus.
- “PRAGMA” OR ENDURING LOVE. Pragma is a love that has aged, matured and developed over time. It is beyond the physical, it has transcended the casual, and it is a unique harmony that has formed over time. You can find pragma in married couples who’ve been together for a long time, or in friendships that have endured for decades. Unlike the other types of love, pragma is the result of effort on both sides. It’s the love between people who’ve learned to make compromises, have demonstrated patience and tolerance to make the relationship work.
- “PHILAUTIA” OR SELF philautia is self-love in its healthiest form. It shares the Buddhist philosophy of “self-compassion” which is the deep understanding that only once you have the strength to love yourself and feel comfortable in your own skin, will you be able to provide love to others.
- AGAPE”OR SELFLESS LOVE is what some call spiritual love. It is an unconditional love, bigger than ourselves, a boundless compassion, an infinite empathy. It is the purest form of love that is free from desires and expectations, and loves regardless of the flaws and shortcomings of othersAgape is the love that is felt for that which we intuitively know as the divine truth: the love that accepts, forgives and believes for our greater good.
I think we all have experienced at least 6 out of the 8 types of love. I hope for everyone's sake that they never experience obsessive love, and I believe that AGAPE can only be experienced through the love that God has for us. I simply don't believe that it is in human nature to comprehend AGAPE. I believe that all positive emotions come from love. Love is at the root of happiness, joy and peace, trust, intimacy. As an emotional person, when I love, I love deep and hard, and I wouldn't have it any other way. I cannot put up my guards or hold back in the face of love, I don't ever want to deprive myself of such a pure and profound emotion. I love being able to offer my love to those around me, to my family, my friends, my spouse, knowing that this love is returned is the essence of my life. I'm so grateful that I'm able to experience Love in all areas of my life, with so many people. It is not only the greatest feeling, but also the greatest commandment!
What is your favorite emotion to feel?
Latest posts by Laura (see all)
- 5 Alternatives To New Year’s Resolutions - January 9, 2018
- How To Rock The Pleated Skirt! - December 29, 2017
- 7 Things You Should Thank Yourself For Before The End Of The Year - December 23, 2017